Gulf Shores prides itself on its family-friendly atmosphere where families can enjoy a vacation filled with fun, relaxation and activities that will appeal to all ages.
“Where Panama City Beach and others promoted themselves every year for Spring Break destinations and the parties, we had not done that,” Director of Gulf Shores’ Recreation & Cultural Affairs Department Gran Brown said to www.al.com in November. “Our loyal customers are truly families and Spring Break participants coming down here looking for a family vacation.”
In line with keeping our area family-friendly, the city of Gulf Shores has instituted an alcohol ban during Spring Break 2017 beginning on March 4 and running through April 16.
And for a family vacation…Gulf Shores has a lot to offer! Check out some must-see, must do events your family can enjoy during Spring Break.
- The Hangout – The Hangout is all about fresh food and fun served daily. Famous for local Gulf seafood, signature cocktails and live music, we have fun things to do for people of all ages. Games, dancing, music, contests and entertainment start in the morning and don’t stop until closing. Chill beach side in our courtyard as the kids play or just enjoy one of the many attractions with your family & friends. At the top of each hour, the foam machine revs up and kids run amuck through an avalanche of foamy bubbles. There’s a gigantic sand pile with a tunnel, a fire pit, a giant shaka hand, collections of vintage lunch boxes, rubber ducks, action figures, matchbox cars, Pez containers and a 15 foot wishing wall where guests jot down their heart’s desire, roll them into scrolls, and cast them into the wall. We have hair braiding, temporary tattoos and bungee jumping. Foosball, ping pong and ring toss also await in the courtyard. Our live music stage is the epicenter of the Hangout Music Fest in May. All summer long, kids eat free at our Pirates & Princesses Breakfast and our Oyster Cook-Off in November is a Gulf Shores tradition. Don’t forget to pick up souvenirs for yourself and everyone back home – our large one stop gift shop is an attraction in itself and has something for everyone! Our motto is “be nice or go home”.
- Gulf State Park – Gulf State Park sits on 2 miles of pristine, white beach. It features a championship golf course, new pavilion, rental cottages, tennis courts, camp sites, hiking trails and fishing pier that is 20 feet wide and extends into the Gulf 1,512 feet. There is also a schedule of weekly events published here.
- Backcountry Trail – Backcountry Trail is made up of seven trails among six distinct ecosystems over a 15 mile stretch of Orange Beach, Gulf Shores and the Gulf State Park. You can enjoy the butterfly garden, freshwater marshes, and coastal hardwood swamps. Wildlife abounds as you may even catch a glimpse of a white-tailed deer, a bobcat or and alligator!
- The Track – The Track offers fun for everyone. Featuring mini-golf, go carts, bumper rides, kiddie rides and an arcade, kids will be ready for bed by the end of the day! If you are looking for serious adventure, try the Skycoaster!
- Water Activities: Dolphin Cruises, Charter Boats, Sunset Cruises, Jetskis, Paddleboards, Fishing and Boating – This link provides a list of local business who provide water sports and rentals along with charter fishing trips and dolphin and sunset cruise. There is no shortage of availability along the coasts of Gulf Shores and Orange Beach!
- Gulf View Hot Air Balloon Rides – Gulf View offers 2-hour hot air balloon rides over the picturesque coastline of Gulf Shores and Orange Beach. “We are really looking forward to our residents being able to live in this safe and clean environment as well as being able to rent their units to Spring Breakers looking for a destination they can enjoy as a family,” David Head said. “The fact that the Abaco site is located within a short walk or drive to these vacation activities makes it even better! We get more and more excited as the development progresses.”
- The Gulf Restaurant – The Gulf Restaurant is a uniquely designed restaurant destination, serving locally inspired food and beverages in a beautiful waterfront setting. Our daily changing food menu features Gulf to Table food and our bar features locally brewed beer and craft cocktails. The Gulf is about relaxing with friends and family, exploring the unique pieces in the shop, and listening to the curated vinyl collection.
- Fort Morgan – For the history buffs, a visit to Fort Morgan is a must! Fort Morgan is a Third System Masonry Fort built between 1819 and 1833 standing guard where the bay meets the Gulf of Mexico. It played a significant role in the Battle of Mobile Bayin 1863. The area also features a boat launch and nature and beach areas.
- The Alabama Gulf Coast Zoo – The Aabama Gulf Coast Zoo is known as “The Little Zoo that Could.” It features more than 500 exotic animals including lions, tigers, bears, primates, leopards, wolves and more!